Saturday, February 19, 2011

preperation

So one week from right now I will be in Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica. [or at least on my way] Let me tell you, there is a lot to get done between now and then.  I have been/am planning on being a lame college student this weekend.  I spent my Friday night working on my lab report for biology and studying for greek and so far on this beautiful Saturday I have been working on my lab report.  I think I'm going to take a break from that (which is kinda what I'm doing now writing this) and work on my english paper even though I would rather do neither.  Honestly I want to be outside or hanging out with friends or doing something other than school work.

I've used this picture but it just describes me right now.  Lots of school work!

Lets take the school work factor out of it - there is still other types preparation needed to go on the trip.

1) Spiritual. 
I know I put in my last post about me even being able to go on this trip is a God thing but there is more to it than just that.  I want my heart to be in the right place before I set foot on the plane next Saturday.  I don't want this trip to be about me or the experience I'll gain.  I want this trip to be about making God's name known to people who may not be able to hear it otherwise.  In a sermon I heard from John Piper he asked

"Do you feel more loved by God because he makes much of you 
or that he enables you to make more of him?"  

 Sit and think about that question, it's a tough one.  I know that one reason I feel love from God is because he allows me to go on mission trips such as this one and the experience I will gain will look great on PT school applications.  However, my hope is that my desire while on this trip will be to make his name known.  The worst kind of idolatry is when you enjoy worshiping God because he is committed to making much of you.  You are basically worshiping God to worship yourself.  Note: I am writing this as a point to myself as well.  There are times that this is the exact thought that crosses my mind.  "How lucky am I to have a God that will enable to do what I want?"  In the same sermon John Piper told us that this is like expecting the same meal you would usually have on a Monday night but instead of fixing it yourself you have a butler to fix it for you.
My God is an amazing God and I want to take his message to every person I can.

2) Packing
How do you like to pack for trips?  I like to make a list of what I need and then proceed to pack the night before.  The idea of packing a week or even a couple days before baffles me.  What if I need something but I have already packed it?  Then I would have to go in the suitcase and take it out just to repack it later.  I think it is much easier to have a list, do laundry the night before, lay out what you need to get ready in the morning and have it so it is easy to pack once done using it, and then pack everything else.  That way you know exactly what is in your suitcase and you have everything you need the week before the trip.  My dad is the same way except I don't think he makes a list.  He probably just packs.  My mom, however, starts laying stuff out weeks in advance.  Since my sister doesn't live at home she's been using her room to lay out clothes that she is taking and things that she'll need to pack.  I know she probably makes a list as well, but she definitely packs in advanced.  Considering that I have only known for three days that I am going and I leave in 7, I couldn't have packed in advanced for this trip anyways.  However, the late notice does call for some serious list making and some shopping needed (which will probably get done next Friday, the day before we leave)


How do you like to prepare for trips? 

Have a great Saturday!
MB

No comments:

Post a Comment